I used to hunt much more than time has allowed the past 5 years. With increased demands on time from work, family, etc. I now look forward to the annual archery hunt more than any other individual activity of the year. This year I was not able to hunt with my regular partner Larry McMichael as we did not get drawn nor were we able to get our calendars to match up.
For those that dont know, my dad is a master packer and this past year he took Larry and I up into one of the prime units outside of Meeker, Colorado. Within several hours of getting to camp I shot this nice 5x5. It was a great trip and got to spend the remainder of the week contemplating my naval and fishing.
This year was not quite the same... Without getting drawn I was subject to having to get an over the counter tag which meant I was going to have to hunt with every other Tom, Dick and Harry that didnt get drawn... After Larry and friend Dan Roberts had some bad luck in one of the over the counter tag units, Dad and I decided to do the mother of all pack trips and go through last years unit, over the Flat Tops, and drop into the head of one of the over the counter units and hopefully get away from the crowds. We were joined by our good friend Harry of Meeker, Colorado.
We were able to get away from the crowds but nearly killed the horses and ourselves getting there. Long story short, I hunted in an area that had tons of downfall, the wind was constantly blowing and swirling and I got into multiple big bulls but all were in dark timber, I didnt have someone to call, and the wind blew me out every time I got close. It was a great adventure none the less and great for my overwhelmed brain...
The third night in camp a massive wind storm blew all night and as we were camping at over 11,000 feet dad got the feeling we should get off the mountain so we left after only two days hunting. We later found out that the day we left a micro burst came through and knocked over 80 trees over the trail we came out on... Close call!
No comments:
Post a Comment